Before you publish your book there are a few things to consider and some publishing jargon that you should be aware of. This month on the Books by LR Instagram and Facebook I shared some little nuggets about publishing your book that I learnt while in the process of self-publishing my first book “Collection of Poems by Latoyaa Roberts“ and I’m compiling them into one blogpost. Here are five things you should know before publishing your book:
- Get a new ISBN number for each version of your book e.g paper back, hardcover, ebook, updated editions.
2. Ensure that people respect the copyright of your book. You can do so by ensuring the author, year and the copyright can be found on your book usually at the copyright page.
3. Self-publishing online through platforms like Amazon makes it easy and reduces a lot of cost than traditional publishers.
4. Royalties is the price that a publisher pays an author for copies of a book sold. It is usually calculated as a percentage of the book sold.
5. If you work with A publishing company, there must be a signed contract and ensure you understand the fine lines of that contract.
If you’re still wondering where to get started with marketing, editing or self-publishing your book click here to learn more about our services or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.